Columbia, SC (WSPA) – Rabbits in Greenville County have proven indicators of rabbit hemorrhagic illness for the primary time in South Carolina, in line with the Clemson College Veterinary Diagnostic Heart in Columbia.
The surviving rabbits on the location had been quarantined, and animal well being officers requested their homeowners to maintain the rabbits in sheds to forestall additional unfold of illness and keep away from contact with wild rabbits.
“RHDV2 has a fatality charge of 70 % or extra. “At this level, our aim is to do the whole lot we are able to to forestall the virus from spreading to the wild rabbit inhabitants and to forestall additional an infection of home rabbits,” stated Michael Neolt, state veterinarian and director of animal and avian well being at Clemson College.
The virus is extremely contagious and impacts home rabbits, wild or feral rabbits, and rabbits.
The virus could be transmitted by means of direct contact with sick rabbits or by means of bedding, water, feed, hay and different supplies used to look after and feed the rabbits. It’s also transmitted by bugs and people.
Scientific indicators of the virus embody sudden loss of life, lack of urge for food, lethargy, conjunctivitis, respiratory signs, and bloody nostril and mouth.
Though the virus doesn’t have an effect on human well being, it has a excessive mortality charge in home and wild rabbits.
To guard your pet or wild rabbit, the USDA recommends the next practices.
- Don’t permit pets or wild rabbits to work together along with your rabbit or enter the power or residence.
- Don’t permit guests to the rabbits, and don’t deal with pets with out protecting clothes (overalls, shoe covers, hair covers, gloves, and so on.).
- At all times wash your palms with heat soapy water earlier than coming into the rabbit zone, after eradicating protecting clothes, and earlier than leaving the rabbit zone.
- Don’t introduce new rabbits from unknown or unreliable sources. Don’t add rabbits from animal shelters or different kinds of rescue to your rabbitry.
- For those who convey outside rabbits into your condo or residence, hold them separate out of your present rabbits for no less than 30 days. Use separate tools for newly acquired or sick rabbits to keep away from the unfold of illness.
- All tools and cages moved out and in of the home needs to be sterilized earlier than returning them to the rabbit. 10% bleach or 10% sodium hydroxide blended with water is beneficial for sanitizing (comply with cleansing label instructions).
- Set up a working relationship with the veterinarian to observe illness prevention and containment practices (biosecurity) to cut back danger to wholesome rabbits.
Rabbit homeowners are suggested to debate vaccination choices with their veterinarian.
In case your rabbit turns into sick or dies and you watched rabbit hemorrhagic illness, contact your veterinarian.